Sicilian pizza originated in the Palermo region of Sicily. Unlike with many other pizza recipes, the cheese on a Sicilian pizza goes underneath the sauce. An authentic Sicilian pizza recipe will call for anchovies and pecorino cheese. Sicilian pizza in the United States is usually a square pie with thick dough and is called tomato pie.
You will find it throughout Italian-American parts of New Jersey and New York, especially in the Utica area of New York where a lot of Sicilians live. Tomato pie is usually served on an aluminum baking sheet. In this Sicilian pizza recipe, we are using authentic dough and tasty Sicilian pizza toppings, including anchovies and pecorino cheese.
SICILIAN PIZZA WITH PECORINO AND VEGETABLES
- 4 cups flour;
- 1 tablespoon salt;
- 2 packages active dry yeast;
- 4 tablespoons olive oil;
- 3 tablespoons shredded mozzarella;
- 3 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese;
- ½ can anchovies, drained and chopped;
- Tomato puree;
- ¼ cup zucchini, chopped;
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano;
- 5 black olives, sliced;
- 5 green olives, sliced;
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed;
- ¼ cup arugula, chopped;
- 1 ½ cups warm water (105 degrees F).
- Combine the yeast with ½ cup of flour and the warm water in a bowl covered in plastic wrap. Let it rise for 15 minutes and then stir to deflate the mixture. Add 2 more cups of flour, some salt, a cup of cool tap water, and the oil. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour. Knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface by hand or in a machine until smooth. Put the dough in a bowl dusted with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise for an hour or 2 until it has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and put it in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Shape the chilled dough into a crust shape. Lightly oil a pan and place the dough into it, stretching it to touch all the corners or edges.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Spread the tomato puree over the crust, leaving half an inch bare at the edges, followed by the mozzarella and pecorino cheeses, oregano, and then the rest of the toppings.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pizza crust is golden brown and the toppings are hot.