Sicilian pizza originated in the Palermo region of Sicily. Unlike with many other pizza recipes, the cheese on a Sicilian pizza goes underneath the sauce. An authentic Sicilian pizza recipe will call for anchovies and pecorino cheese. Sicilian pizza in the United States is usually a square pie with thick dough and is called tomato pie.
You will find it throughout Italian-American parts of New Jersey and New York, especially in the Utica area of New York where a lot of Sicilians live. Tomato pie is usually served in an aluminum-baking sheet. In this Sicilian pizza recipe, we are using an authentic dough and tasty Sicilian pizza toppings, including anchovies and pecorino cheese.
Sicilian Pizza with Pecorino and Vegetables
- 4 cups flour;
- 1 tablespoon salt;
- 2 packages active dry yeast;
- 4 tablespoons olive oil;
- 3 tablespoons shredded mozzarella;
- 3 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese;
- ½ can anchovies, drained and chopped;
- Tomato puree;
- ¼ cup zucchini, chopped;
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano;
- 5 black olives, sliced;
- 5 green olives, sliced;
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed;
- ¼ cup arugula, chopped;
- 1 ½ cups warm water (105 degrees F).
- Combine the yeast with ½ cup of the flour and the warm water in a bowl covered in plastic wrap. Let it rise for 15 minutes and then stir to deflate the mixture. Add 2 more cups of flour, some salt, a cup of cool tap water and the oil. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour. Knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface by hand or in a machine until smooth. Put the dough in a bowl dusted with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise for an hour or 2 until it has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and put it in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Shape the chilled dough into a crust shape. Lightly oil a pan and place the dough into it, stretching it to touch all the corners or edges.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Spread the tomato puree over the crust, leaving half an inch bare at the edges, followed by the mozzarella and pecorino cheeses, oregano and then the rest of the toppings.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pizza crust is golden brown and the toppings are hot.